Frequently Asked Questions

Membership & Registration

Q:  Can I renew my membership over the Internet?

A:  Yes you can, look for the “Pay Membership Dues’ link on the front page. The registration pops over to PayPal but you don’t need an account – you can pay ‘as a guest’ with a credit card.

Q:  I see boys in Scouting wearing a sash with an arrow on it. How can I join the OA?

A:  Sorry, you can not “join” the Order of the Arrow. Youth members have to be elected as candidates for membership. A unit election can be held, once a year, by each troop and varsity team between January 1 and April 15.  Your Scoutmaster can tell you the eligibility requirements.   Adults may be nominated if, their unit has had at least one youth elected, during the annual process.  Each unit may nominate 1 adult for every 3 scouts who are elected.  Adult nominations are sent to the Lodge on the proper form. The Adult nomination form is located in our “Forms” section

Q:  Are members of a BSA Venture Crew eligible for election to the OA?

A:  No. Only Boy Scout Troops and Varsity Teams can hold elections for membership into the Order of the Arrow. Male youth, who are members of a Venture Crew must be elected through a troop.

Q:  How long is my membership valid?

A:  Once member always a member.  However active membership in Mikanakawa Lodge is based upon the calendar year. Active membership is renewed each year and expire as of November 30th of each year.

Q:  How much are Lodge Dues?

A:  The Lodge Executive Committee has set the dues at $15.00 per year. The Lodge often has a patch incentive for paying your dues before April 1st.

Q:  I paid my current year’s dues last December when I received my renewal in the mail. Here it is February and I have not received my membership card. When will I receive it?

A:  As with everything in the Order, the updating of our databases for these renewals is done by volunteers who also maintain the registration for the big events such as Lodge Banquet and Pow Wow. Therefore, it takes a while to update the 1,000+ renewals we get and prepare the membership cards for mailing. The first mailing is shortly after the Lodge Banquet, the second is shortly after Pow Wow, and the third is shortly after the first Ordeal weekend. However, any membership cards for which processing has been completed and not yet mailed will be available for pick-up by members at these events.

Q:  I paid my current year dues in April. Since my membership expires November 30th, am I allowed a partial year registration discount?

A:  No, full dues must be paid after March 1, regardless of the time of year payment is made. There is no currently provision for proration of dues for partial year membership.

Q:  I took my Ordeal in October. I was told that my Ordeal fee included dues. Do I need to pay dues again in January?

A:  Yes, a portion of the Ordeal Fee you paid is allocated for current year’s dues. However, in order to keep the Ordeal fee the same for each candidate, the membership fee for the year you took your Ordeal takes into account that all Ordeal candidates are not members for the full calendar year and is thus less than the full year membership fee.

Q:  How do I renew my membership in Mikankanawa Lodge?

A:  Renewal of membership for a current Mikanakawa Lodge member can be achieved through the completion of an official Mikanakawa Lodge Dues Card or Dues Payment Form and payment of the required dues amount. The member must maintain a current BSA registration in a unit within Circle Ten Council.  The membership renewal forms are located in the “Registration” area of our website.

Q:  I was a member of Mikanakawa Lodge as a Youth member. How do I rejoin the Lodge?

A:  You can renew your membership the same way a current member does. However, you should check with the registration adviser to see if we have a record of your prior membership prior to submitting the Dues Payment Card.  The date of your Ordeal would be helpful, If you can remember, or if you have a copy of your old membership card.

Q:  I am a former member of Mikanakawa Lodge but your records do not show me as a prior member. What do I have to do to rejoin the Lodge?

A:  This makes it a bit more difficult but not impossible. Although we have an extensive history of prior members, it is not a complete history. The easiest way is for you to rejoin the Lodge is for you to produce documentary evidence of your prior membership. Ownership of a sash and manuals do not meet this test. If this is not possible, you should contact our registration adviser for assistance and other options.

Q:  I was a member of another Lodge and recently joined a local BSA unit. How do I transfer my membership to Mikankanawa Lodge?

A:  The easiest way is to fill out a Mikanakawa Lodge Dues Payment Form and send it, along with the correct dues payment and evidence of prior membership to the address shown on the form. An official membership card is the preferred evidence of prior membership. Copies of OA publications or possession of a sash is NOT acceptable! Vigil Honor members MUST provide a copy of their vigil certificate or provide lodge name and number and approximate date Vigil Honor was received so that it can be verified with the National OA office. If you no longer have documentary evidence of prior membership, contact the Lodge’s Membership Registration Adviser for alternate verification procedures. The membership renewal forms are located in the “Registration” area of our website, or picked up at Circle Ten’s Forms Room or at any Lodge event.

Q:  I was a member of another Lodge and recently transferred my membership to Mikanakawa Lodge. How do I get a Mikanakawa Lodge flap?

A:  Mikanakawa Lodge Flaps are sold by the Lodge Trading Post only at Lodge events to current dues paid members. A complete list of lodge events is on our calendar on the web site. Members are limited to purchasing one flap for each lodge event for which they register and attend. Other OA items can also be purchased from the Lodge Trading Post at all Lodge events. You should only wear the flap for the lodge in which you are currently registered.

Q:  I was a member of another Lodge and recently joined a local BSA unit. Can I continue to wear my lodge flap from my original lodge?

A:  No. You are only authorized to wear the lodge flap for the lodge in which you are currently registered. In addition, you are only authorized to be a member of the lodge of the council where you live and maintain your BSA registration. Since you are registered with a unit in this council, you can not officially belong to either a lodge or unit within another council and thus you are not authorized to wear their flap. If you wish to be a current member of the Order, you should transfer your membership to Mikanakawa Lodge and obtain and wear the lodge flap from our lodge while you are registered to a unit within our council.

Ordeal Candidate Questions

Q: I have registered for my Ordeal. How do I get to the Camp?

A:  Ordeal Candidates must arrange for their own transportation to and from Ordeals under the BSA transportation guidelines. Maps to council camps can be obtained at the Circle Ten Council registration desk or on the council’s web site at

Q:  What do I need to bring with me to an ordeal as a candidate?

A:  There is a minimal standard for clothing and supplies required of Ordeal Candidates. There are also restrictions on what Candidates may bring. You can find a list of what to bring on the Ordeal Information Page.

Q: The list of what not to bring to an Induction Weekend says no extra food of any kind. I have special dietary medical needs. What do I do? Can I still participate?

A: Yes! Just make sure to list the need on the medical form you send in, and contact the Ordeal Registration Adviser. For contact information please follow this link, the information is at the bottom of the page.

Miscellaneous Questions

Q:  I moved a while back and the Lodge newsletter is not being forwarded to my new address. Why? 

A: The Mikanakawan, as is the case with much of the lodge mail, is sent by bulk mail. If an address is not correct, the post office will not forward bulk mail and will not return it to us. Therefore, we have no way of knowing of the bad address. You need to send your address change to the Lodge’s Membership Committee Adviser in writing, either by snail mail or e-mail, and provide both your old and new addresses along with your current telephone number. Once notified, your record is usually updated within hours, allowing the next lodge mailing to be sent to your correct address.

Q:  I became a member of the Order of the Arrow when I was with a troop. I am now active in the Venturing program. Am I allowed to wear my OA Flap on my Venturing uniform?

A:  Although members of the Venturing program can not be elected into the OA, if you are already a member of the Order of the Arrow, there is currently no prohibition from wearing an OA flap on a venturing uniform, or participating in OA events, provided that you are a current dues paid member of the lodge.

Q: Is Mikanakawa it? Is there anything bigger than Mikanakawa?

A: No, there’s a lot more! There’s the national level. Click for National Website. Then there’s the section level. Click for Section Website. Then there’s a lodge, which is the level Mikanakawa is at.

Q: Some of these abbreviations and acronyms you’ve used are confusing, what do they mean?

A: To name just a few: OA is short for Order of the Arrow.  Miki is short for Mikanakawa. BSA is short for Boy Scouts of America.

Q: What if my question wasn’t answered here?

A: There are a couple of different ways to find an answer to your questions.  You can contact a member of the local chapter, or ask an Arrowman you know. You can also take a look at the National OA Website. Click for National Website.